Thursday, December 24, 2015

Summary of Dividend Cuts



Christmas Eve, Christmas Ham and Mulled Wine! What could be a more appropriate moment to go through the notified dividend cuts of my portfolio holdings during this year. 


At the moment, my portfolio contains 47 shares from different companies, of which 5 have announced dividend cuts or temporary interruption of the dividend payments. Moreover, if commodity prices remain at that level for a long time, for me, it shouldn't be a big surprise if some other in my portfolio companies, announces the same things.

Let's look more closely notifications of these five companies press releases.

Press Release June 5, 2015 - Baxter International Inc.



Press Release October 28, 2015 - TAL International Group, Inc.



Press Release November 5, 2015 - Prosafe SE



Press Release November 26, 2015 - NCC AB



Press Release December 8, 2015 - Kinder Morgan, Inc.



Let's look next the numbers.



Baxter's and NCC's announcement is not actually a dividend cut, but I take it as such, because it reduces my dividend income.

As calculation shows, my forward annual dividend income will decrease by approximately one thousand euros, a percentage decline of about 6.7%.  When I take into account the dividend tax 25.5% my net dividend income will decrease by around 745 Euros.

As I mentioned above, I wouldn't be very surprised if similar notifications will come more over the next year related my portfolio companies like GLNG, OKE and the COP.

On the whole, I am very satisfied with my dividend income in 2015 (I will come back to that later), but I can say that without these few unpleasant news, the next year would have looked a lot better.

Full Disclosure: Still long BAX, BXLT, TAL, PRS, NCC, KMI, GLNG, OKE, COP


Photo Credit: digitalart/FreeDigitalPhotos.net 


4 comments:

  1. Its never a good announcement when companies have to cut dividend. But its a reality and things happen. Im sure we will see more in the commodities sector if the market remains depressed.

    Anyways...hope you are having a good start to the holidays. Happy Christmas.

    cheers
    R2R

    ReplyDelete
  2. If oil continues to stay this low then I expect to see more cuts run through the O&G space and I wouldn't be surprised to see more M&A and probably outright bankruptcy from some of the smaller E&P firms. I was disappointed with the BAX/BXLT reduction but the KMI one really hurt. Hoping for a better year in 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nice little round up of the unfortunate part of dividend growth investing. It's just a friendly reminder that no matter how great a company is or was dividend are never guaranteed. I went through cuts myself with GE, WFC and IR. Not fun, but I held on to all those positions. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bad news is never good to hear when they are associated with investments but it just proves that it is a part of investing. Great reminder to all that dividend investing does come with risk. This coming year, I am pledging to look deep into a company's dividend history and their ability to continuing paying and/or increasing their dividend before adding them to our portfolio.

    Merry Christmas to you and yours Dividend Hawk. AFFJ

    ReplyDelete